Drive Brake transmissions clean up the rear wheel brake related clutter. We designed our Drive Brake transmission as a complete system to address some concerns we had with bolt on systems. Some bolt on systems had small diameter rotors with partial brake pad engagement; the one we evaluated wouldn’t even allow us to lock up and skid the rear wheel. So we designed our system with an 8” rotor and full pad engagement. With a prototype we were able to lock up the rear wheel and throw it sideways. Aesthetically, it is super clean with the caliper located in between the belt rungs and a minimalistic Function Formed hydraulic actuator spider.
– 8” stainless steel rotor
– 6061-T6 aluminum clutch actuator spider with 1.5” diameter piston (hydraulic only). 11/16” master cylinder recommended
– Dual piston brake caliper with PM guts
– Inboard piston bore is an integral part of the door
– Polished stainless steel stand-offs under front spider legs
– Dual brake bleeders; one above each piston
– Available with show polished or chrome finishes
– Chrome top cover available with or without neutral switch
– 29 tooth .5” offset pulley standard
– N1 drum optional
– ‘R’ ratio no cost option for big motor applications
– 5 year limited warranty
Case Finish Options
The Drive Brake comes in Show Polished or Chrome.
Some bolt on systems had small diameter rotors with partial brake pad engagement; the one we evaluated wouldn’t even allow us to lock up and skid the rear wheel. So we designed our system using an 8” rotor with full pad engagement. With our prototype we were able to lock up the rear wheel and throw it sideways. The braking caliper is designed into the bearing door for ultimate strength, with a removable caliper on the outside for pad replacement in the future. Dual bleeders come standard allowing you to get every bit of air out of the system, thus leaving a firm/positive braking feel. The hydraulic actuator sits up off of the rotor being mounted off of the outside caliper and front fender which wraps the front of the rotor for saftey.The hydraulic actuator has a 1.5″ diameter piston with dual O-Rings. BAKER recommends a 11/16″ master cylinder (clutch perch) for the hydraulic clutch. Both the brake and clutch hydraulic system is DOT 5 compatible.
The electronic speedometer provision would utilize a stock 1996-2006 speed sensor, PN 74437-96. Pending what type of electronic speedometer you use, an additional speedometer recalibration box might have to be purchased, BAKER PN 95E-56A.
Shift Drum Options
Standard shift drum pattern (1-N-2-3-4-5-6)
N1 shift drum pattern (N-1-2-3-4-5-6)
Belt or Chain
The drive brake comes standard with a 29 tooth .500″ offset pulley assembly or you have your option of using a 23 tooth .900″ offset sprocket.
Top Cover Option
On some custom applications or builds you don’t need the use of a neutral light, in that case you have the option of getting the Drive Brake with or with out a neutral switch top cover. The neutral switch top cover comes standard.
1990-99 Right Side Drive Softail-Based and Custom Right Side Drive Motorcycles
|R701PB-BRK||Show polished Drive Brake transmission assembly w/ standard ratios|
|R7211PB-BRK||Show polished Drive Brake transmission assembly w/ ‘R’ ratio|
|R701CB-BRK||Chrome Drive Brake transmission assembly w/ standard ratios|
|R7211CB-BRK||Chrome Drive Brake transmission assembly w/ ‘R’ ratio|
– If you want a Chain drive sprocket add suffix “-S” at the end of the part number for 23 tooth sprocket, Ex: R701PB-BRK-S.
– If you would like a N1 shift drum pattern add suffix “-N1″ before -BRK in the part number, Ex: R701PB-N1-BRK.
– If you would like a no neutral switch top cover add suffix “N” before -BRK, Ex: R701PBN-BRK
– Chrome drive brake transmissions are only available with show polished bearing door and caliper.
Maintenance / Service
The Drive Brake dual piston setup utilizes Performance Machine internal components. BAKER Recommends checking for brake pad wear after the initial 1000 miles and every 5000 miles after to ensure proper function.
Brake Pad Kit
|BRK-KIT||Brake Pads and Bypass O-Ring – BAKER|
– Sprocket or Pulley assembly along with caliper must be removed in order to replace the brake pads
– Inner Primary High Torque Bearing Kit
– SP9: Street Performance 9 Plate Clutch
– King Kong Clutch
– FFP “Function Formed Primary”
– SBD “Softail Belt Drive”
Click on any of the images below to learn more
Recommended Fluid / Level
Picking the right transmission fluid ensures the life and durability of your transmission, that’s why BAKER recommends a fully synthetic GL-5 rated gear weight oil of 75W-140. If a GL-5 rated gear lube is not available, these commonly carried viscosities (weights) will work 75W-90, 75W-140 and 85W-140. BAKER does not recommend the use of Syn3 (20W-50). For Bert’s article on ‘Oil & Spiders’ Click Here
Drive Brake Fluid Capacity Dry: 22-24fl-oz
Drive Brake Fluid Capacity Wet: 18-22fl-oz
Drive Brake install instructions with exploded views:Click Here