S&S started some shit. A couple years ago they took the classic Shovel, Pan, and Knuckle engine designs and re-birthed them with many modern improvements to address leaks, durability, reliability, and performance. So we took the hint and re-engineered the venerable ratchet top 4-speed with that classic external architecture and updated it with many modern improvements. And we recently released the jockey top version. The only piece of the puzzle missing was the primary. We took the classic 1936-64 tin primary design and re-constructed it with 6061-T6 aluminum to facilitate alternator motor case compatibility, address leaks, reduce chain noise, and make modern starter integration possible. The result is the Tin Type Primary (TTP) in kick-only and starter type configurations available with blasted or show polished finishes. Starter version is set up for factory 1990-2006 starters. Stock tin derby and inspection covers fit but we highly recommend our sexy 6061-T6 Aluminum TTP covers. The design utilizes our fine tooth modern L-bracket chain tensioner.
- Billet 6061-T6 aluminum inner and outer primary housings available in steel shot blasted or show polished finish
- Available in kick only and 1.4kw 1990-2006 style starter configuration
- Starter type includes jackshaft and related hardware
- Modern fine chain tooth adjuster shoe and L-bracket included
- O-ring sealed locking flanged nuts for transmission-to-inner primary studs
- Nostalgic slotted screws, gasket and related hardware included
- Zero leak drain plug with magnet standard
- Chain oiler and suction hardware included
- Inner primary is reinforced for strength around the mainshaft bore
- Works with stock style derby and inspection covers
- 2 Year limited warranty
Primary Finish Options
The TTP comes in 2 different finishes
Run it WET or DRY
Can be run dry with Shovelhead era clutches and a 1970-E84 4-speed. Chain oiler feed and return provisions are on back side of inner primary similar to factory locations. Remove 1/8” NPT plugs and install fittings (provided). For a cleaner look with better clutch function, heat dissipation, and dependability the TTP can be run wet with primary oil with the Splined Shovel clutch in conjunction with the BAKER splined 4-speed mainshaft. Splined 4-speed mainshaft available to convert any existing 1970-E84 transmission or it can be specified in a new BAKER 4-speed build. Splined Shovel clutch is highly recommended for 93+ inch engines to avoid trouble down the road.
The internal design of the Tin Type Primary has been beefed up around the mainshaft bearing with a structural web design unlike the the original 1970′s inner, which is prone for breaking. Modern fine tooth chain tensioner setup ensures quite operation along with maintaining proper chain adjustment. Keeping your primary chain lubricated is a chain oiler fitting positioned just above and rearward of the adjuster. We added O-Ring counter bore pockets around the stud holes. These O-Rings provide a leak free sealing solution over the old silicone trick. Provided with the TTP are self locking flanged nuts for a proper squish of the O-Rings, worry free setup.
Primary Drive Configuration Options:
- 24 tooth motor sprocket, 37 tooth clutch sprocket, and stock 82 pitch primary chain (PN 40007-36B), for a 1.54 primary ratio.
- 24 tooth motor sprocket is maximum size that fits within the TTP envelope
- 22 tooth motor sprocket, 35 tooth clutch sprocket, and 80 pitch primary chain (available through BAKER) for a 1.59 primary reduction. 35 tooth clutch sprocket available with BAKER splined Shovel clutch.
- 23 tooth motor sprocket, 38 tooth clutch sprocket, and stock 82 pitch primary chain (PN 40007-36B) for a 1.65 reduction. 38 tooth clutch sprocket available with BAKER splined Shovel clutch.
BAKER Highly Recommends
The use of a Harley ‘H-D’ 1.4kw starter for proper operation. If you are running the stock Shovelhead clutch double check the ring gear for wear. These were a 3-piece design that were riveted together and were prone for ring getting worn on the inside. Replace with a 1-piece ring gear, weld on found in your local distributor catalog.
TTP Fitment / Compatible With:
- 1970-E84 Big Twins and custom 4-speed builds
- 1970-79 ratchet top 4-speeds (top or bottom pull)
- 1980-E84 turtle top 4-speeds (non starter TTP version only)
- Jockey top 4-Speeds
- BAKER 4-Speed
- BAKER 6-INTO-4
- BAKER TTP-200A, Clutch release arm kit
- Alternator style motor cases
- Shovelhead clutches and BAKER splined clutch
- 1990-2006 1.4kw H-D starters with ¼-20 or 10-32 shaft
- Traditional tin derby and inspection covers or BAKER TTP covers
- 1955-64 splined non-compensator motor sprockets
- Stock 40007-36B primary chains
- TTP is not compatible with Factory Mid Controls
TTP Part Numbers for the old style BAKER 6N4 Transmission with the .983” diameter mainshaft:
|3100-TTP-R-6N4||Media blasted TTP assembly w/ hardware, Kick Only – Old 6N4|
|3100-TTP-P-6N4||Show Polished TTP assembly w/ hardware, Kick Only- Old 6N4|
|3101-TTPS-R-6N4||Media blasted TTP assembly w/ hardware, Starter Version- Old 6N4|
|3101-TTPS-P-6N4||Show Polished TTP assembly w/ hardware, Starer Version- Old 6N4|
TTP Part Numbers for 4-Speed & BAKER 6N4 Transmissions with the 1.000” diameter mainshaft:
|3100-TTP-R||Media blasted TTP assembly w/ hardware, Kick Only|
|3100-TTP-P||Show Polished TTP assembly w/ hardware, Kick Only|
|3101-TTPS-R||Media blasted TTP assembly w/ hardware, Starter Version|
|3101-TTPS-P||Show Polished TTP assembly w/ hardware, Starter Version|
TTP bearing & seal placement for the current, 1.000” diameter and .983” diameter mainshafts:
The old style 6N4 with .983″ diameter mainshaft does not use a snap ring to retain the race adapter and bearing. The seal is pressed directly on top of the bearing for clearance for the older style bottle gear assembly on the transmission. See the below images for mainshaft identification; old VS new:
Old .983” & Current 1.000” diameter mainshaft images:
We had a couple part numbers for the stepped .983″ mainshaft; PN 996040-8 & PN 6N4-70xxxx. (xxxx= month / year). The last stepped .983″ mainshaft were made in 2008 (PN 6N4-70xx08).
Optional Derby Covers & Accessories:
The TTP does not come with the derby and inspection covers, these must be purchased separately. Made out of Billet 6061-T6 Aluminum
|3102-TTP-P||Inspection & Derby Cover Kit – Show Polished|
|3102-TTP-R||Inspection & Derby Cover Kit – Media Blasted|
|TTP-200A||TTP Clutch Release Arm Kit|
Kit PN TTP-200A is needed in order to run your stock style clutch cable setup, features a 10 degree release arm to clear a modern starter along with a clutch cable extension ferrule, so no modification to your stock setup is necessary.
- BAKER 4-Speed Transmission
- BAKER 6 INTO 4 Transmission
- The Splined Shovel Clutch; highly recommended for Big Horsepower applications and durability
Click on any of the images below to learn more
TTP Installation Instructions: Click Here
…..As Seen On
Show Polished Finish[/caption]/atd width=”110″